Thursday, November 11, 2010

st 11 : the ant and the contact lens




Brenda was almost halfway to the top of the tremendous granite cliff. She was standing on a ledge where she was taking a breather during her first rock climb. 

As she rested there, the safety rope snapped against her eye and knocked out her contact lens. 



























"Great", she thought.  

"Here I am on a rock ledge, hundreds of feet from the bottom and hundreds of feet to the top of this cliff, and now my sight is blurry." 












  















 
She looked and looked, hoping that somehow it had landed on the ledge. 

No, it wasn't there.




































She felt the panic rising in her, so she began to pray. 

She prayed for calmness, and she prayed that she may find her contact lens. 




































 

When she got to the top, a friend examined her eye and her clothing for the lens, but it was not to be found. 

Although she was calm now that she was at the top, she was saddened because she could not clearly see across the range of mountains. 

Her vision has been compromised.
























 












 

She thought of the bible verse: 

"The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth." 




She spoke to God:


"Lord, You can see all these mountains. You know every stone and leaf, and You know exactly where my contact lens is. Please help me."


























Later, when they had hiked down the trail to the bottom of the cliff they met another party of climbers just starting up the face of the cliff.



One of them shouted out: 


"Hey, you guys! Anybody lost a contact lens?"





























Well, that would be startling enough... 

But you know why the climber saw it? 

An ant was moving slowly across a twig on the face of the rock, carrying it! 





























 The story doesn't end there. 


Brenda's father is a cartoonist. When she told him the incredible story of the ant, the prayer, and the contact lens, he drew a cartoon of an ant lugging that contact lens with the caption:


"Lord, I don't know why You want me to carry this thing. I can't eat it, and it's awfully heavy. But if this is what You want me to do, I'll carry it for You." 




































Lord, during my dark trials and most burdensome moments, help me to remember to say to You:
 
"God, I don't know why You want me to carry this load. I can see no good in it and it's awfully heavy. But, if You want me to carry it, I will carry it for You." 
























 


God does not call the Qualified ... 




























He qualifies the Called.


































He often calls the insignificant
to carry out His mighty works.




































Yes Lord, I do love You. 

You are my source of existence and my Savior. 



Mama Ant says, "Son, see the big Guy up there? 
That's God and He loves You very, very much."

Baby Ant says, "Ooh ... Awe-shome!"





































You keep me functioning each and every day. 


You are my everything.



Every little thing I do 
is part of Your Master Plan.
























Without You, I am nothing, 

but with You, Lord ...





























I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. 

(Phil 4:13)


God is sending help right now.
He answers prayers every time.

















Lord, thank you for qualifying me to be the one to carry the contact lens and for giving me the strength to carry it through. 


Now I see why. 


I didn't know my carrying the lens for You would bring so much: 



joy 

love 

happiness

peace

hope


and yes, even ... 


relief 


... to those of Your people who are looking for it. :D


Now where did I put my Hope?



























Yes Lord, my faith is strengthened, and I can see:



YOUR MESSAGE 



so much better now that I have found my contact lens. 



Ah, now I see the Light!






 

a silent thot ...

by lynn phua














This is a true story by Brenda Foltz of Princeton, Minnesota, who maintained she wrote it based upon an event that occurred during her first rock-climbing experience.